Book Review: Diana Gabaldon's Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon



Source: Physical copy purchased by me from B&N
Publisher: Dell Publishing Company
Pub. Date: 1991
Genre: Historical Romance

Well. This book turned out to be much darker than I thought it would be.

Going into it, all I knew was that it's a historical romance with a little blip of time travel thrown in at the beginning. I was really into the first half of the book and flew through it in a couple of days. But then some unsettling things happened around mid-way, and it only got worse from there. I ended up being pretty disgusted and disappointed overall.

A bit of a spoiler that I wish I knew about before picking up the 850 page book: there's frequent scenes of sexual assault, domestic violence, and rape. You might come away from this book feeling better about the plot than I do if you are better at handling character trauma than I am. I personally just tend to stay away from brutal and graphic storylines when I read for funsies in my spare time.

I've watched the first few episodes of the TV series adaptation on Starz, and I have to say, they are doing a good job being faithful to the book. The actor who plays Jamie is pretty perfectly cast and makes for some very pleasing eye-candy indeed.

My Rating: 3 Stars

I know there has to be some hardcore Outlander fans lurking about this blog. How do you feel about the book?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...